UTAH'S DIXIE HISTORICAL SITES
CLICK ON PICTURE TO MAKE LARGER
Where is it?
The town of Harrisburg was founded by Moses Harris in 1850. By 1863
twenty-five families had made their homes in the little valley along Quail
Creek, locate three miles South of Leeds and twelve miles northeast of St.
George. The town thrived almost 50 years and included some 30 homes
surrounded by Vineyards and orchards.. Cane for sorghum and molasses was
raised by bringing water from Quail Creek. Wagon freighters, plodding from
Salt Lake to the St. George made Harrisburg favorite stopping place
When spring water diminished or the once rushing water was diverted to another community, many of the families were unable to continue farming and moved to other locations. They left behind a newly built dam along with the orchard and vineyards. Water or the lack of it, spelled the fate of this community. Harrisburg also suffered much destruction by grasshoppers in 1860
The ruins of Harrisburg shows evidence of homes including two stone houses with out roofs, and a little cemetery surrounded by a wrought iron fence. By 1920 there were only to families still living in the once thriving town of Harrisburg
30 Oct 2007